Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Dedication!!

This morning I was abruptly woken up by a harsh a loud violent thunderstorm. I headed down to breakfast excited that today is the last day of the build. Being with a group of 16 people constantly will really wear on you. People start to annoy each other and clicks and sub clicks spring up left and right. I load up for the worksite in a negative mood and I am just ready to get it over with and move on. The group dynamic has really gotten to me.

Due to the rain there was very little that could be done. We all waited around to get started with the ceremony. Once the ceremony commenced my attitude abruptly changed to positive. It started with a shortt speech by Jack about how thankful we all were for allowing us come and build these homes. As the dedication continued I realized how special it was that all of us came together and built two houses in just two weeks. You can begin to see tears come down the eyes of both Jack and Mr. E. (homeowner) the whole group is overwhelmed with immediate gratification.

The second dedication was just as emotional as the first. Instead of wanting to rip everyone's head off, I wanted to give them all a hug. We worked as team, played as a team, fought as a team, and most important we finished as a team. There truly are some talented individuals in our team. Afterwards we enjoyed lunch with the family and said our fair well to the town that brought us in with open arms.

The local habitat workers pulled off an amazing two weeks of building. Imp, Jay, Bom, and Gret deserve much credit for organizing the build and managing our team. They interpreted for us and acted as a bridge to the local Thai community. I couldn't have asked for a better staff.

A special thanks also needs to go out to Jack Kingsley. It's amazing that for ten years he has organized a group of volunteers to help build homes across South East Asia. His organizations skill are unmatched. He is so successful in putting on these trips that he has developed an almost cult following. So thank you Jack Kingsley and thank you to "Jack's Team" for letting me into the group. You are all amazing people.

Typical habitat, starts with a bang, stressful in the middle and worth it all in the end. Thank you to all the people who help made this possible.

Off to karaoke with the team!!


No comments:

Post a Comment